[Samba] Doesn't require a password

James Bear james.s.bear at sendit.nodak.edu
Wed Sep 10 18:20:29 GMT 2003

Here is my problem:

Previously, I was using Samba as a PDC and everybody logged in with WXP
and then they had roaming profiles and all was grand, except sometimes
my students had really big pictures and such being saved to their "My
Documents."  That's bad.  When it came time to log off, other students
sometimes had to wait 20 minutes.  A Bad thing.

So, this year, I scrapped the roaming profiles and got some XP Home
Edition machines.  I simply shared files on the server using Samba.
It's fine.  All the machines have a mapped network drive to the homes
directory.  When they click it, they are prompted for a username and
password.  They gain access to the server.  They can do things exactly
as I want them to be able to do things.

One little problem.  A student pointed out that if he didn't enter a
password, it worked just the same.  A user can enter any username and as
long as it is a user on the server, they have access to that file
without supplying a password or supplying a bogus password.  It's a bad
thing.

Can anybody help?  Keep in mind that this is a modified smb.conf.  I
previously had it when I had the samba as a PDC and some of the settings
while seemingly illogical are carryovers.  Me not sharp enough or have
enough time to bother with trying to change them.  Here is my smb.conf:

--

James Bear
www.montpelier.k12.nd.us

God is good...all the time.