[Samba] Trouble building samba-3.0.0rc3 on Red Hat Linux AMD64 machine

Jay Fenlason fenlason at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 15:56:14 GMT 2003

It the Makefile, the installclientlib target calls
-$(INSTALLCLIENTCMD_SH) bin/libsmbclient. at SHLIBEXT@ $(DESTDIR)${prefix}/lib
and
-$(INSTALLCLIENTCMD_A) bin/libsmbclient.a $(DESTDIR)${prefix}/lib

However, on the AMD64 platform, ${prefix}/lib (/usr/lib) is reserved
for 32-bit compatability libraries, and these 64-bit libraries should
be installed in /usr/lib64/

To make matters more confusing, my build environment doesn't have a
/usr/lib directory, so these libraries get installed on top of each
other as a file named "lib" in the /usr directory.

@libdir@ is set to /usr/lib64/samba (because --with-fhs is set) so we
can't simply use it here.  I don't see any convenient macros that
expand to /usr/lib64, which is probably why /usr/lib was hardcoded
there.

My current workaround is to "rm -f /usr/lib" and install the libraries
by hand in the correct location in my Red Hat samba.spec file.  It's
ugly.  Can someone come up with a better fix?

			-- JF