[Samba] Samba3: machine account uid

Gunther Schlegel schlegel at riege.de
Tue Sep 9 13:30:25 GMT 2003

Hello,

Setup: Samba 3rc3 PDC, ldapsam based, Openldap 2.1, RedHat 9

Question: Is it possible to assign the same UID to all machine accounts?
I am referring just to the number, of course there has to be one entry
for each machine with it's own unique username.

Questions Background: Personally I would prefer a "non unix account
solution" for Windows machine accounts. Nevertheless this is not in
samba3. From my point of view these accounts are just containers to
store a password in that will never operate on the servers files.

To add users I need to define the "add machine script" in smb.conf with
some "ldapadd" command. It is a nuisance that I have to publish a
username/password pair with appropriate rights on the ldap server in
smb.conf anyways, but I can at least circumvent this a bit with a user
that has only access to the ou that stores the machine accounts. It
would be a nice feature to have an "ldap machine add" setting which
would imply the use of the "ldap proot dn" for the operation.

I still need to specify a uid for the machine account and I want to have
the machine accounts in a different number range from the "normal" user
accounts - so I wondered whether this uid has to be unique.

thanks a lot for all comments that enlighten me. ;)

regards, Gunther

--
Gunther Schlegel                    Riege Software International GmbH
Manager System Administration                            Mollsfeld 10

Disclaimer:
You may grab my GPG key from http://www.keyserver.net .
A nonproportional font is recommended for reading.