[Samba] Kerberos question for samba ADS auth

ggrov7 at eq.edu.au ggrov7 at eq.edu.au
Tue Sep 9 12:19:47 GMT 2003

I want to authenticate samba users (linux box) from a ADS server (w2kserver) and have been running into trouble with it. When installing kerberos I was reading the install postscript file and it said it needs a master kdc for the database, I assume when using it for samba, the ADS server will be the master kdc. In a moment of weakness I had a thought that maybe the ADS server is not meant to be the master kdc (or a kdc at all).

So my question is, which one is supposed to be the master kdc? The ADS server or the Linux samba server? also if the ADS server is the kdc, do I need to install MIT kerberos on it? or does the win2k work with the MIT kerberos on the linux server 'straight out of the box'?