[Samba] Samba-3.0.0 RC3 available for download

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue Sep 9 01:55:43 GMT 2003

Preface
- -------

Here are the informal plans for the actual 3.0.0 release:

We, the Samba Team,  hope that this will be the final RC before
the real 3.0.0 release.  Unless there is a severe bug in the Samba
source that would affect a large number of the community, the
source/ directory in RC3 will stay the same for 3.0.0.  The docs/
directory has not changed between RC2 and RC3.  However, there are
a lot of documentation updates to be merged before 3.0.0.  This
will be handled later this week.

If all goes as planned, 3.0.0 will be released the first of next
week.  We're intentionally being vague to leave the possibility of
the release as next Monday or Tuesday.

Announcement
- ------------

The Samba Team is proud to announce the availability of the
third release candidate of the Samba 3.0.0 code base.  A release
candidate implies that the code is very close to a final release,
but remember that this is still a non-production snapshot intended
for testing purposes.  Use it at your own risk.

The major issues addressed in this release candidate are

  1) Compatibility and compile fixes with Heimdal Kerberos.
  2) Disconnection issues in winbindd after prolonged idle
     periods.
  3) More fixes for transitive trusts when acting as a member
     of an ADS domain.
  4) Performance optimizations when using ASCII character sets.

The source code can be downloaded from :

    http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/rc/

The uncompressed tarball and patch file have been signed
using GnuPG.  The Samba public key is available at

    http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/samba-pubkey.asc

Binary packages are available at

    http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/

A simplified version of the CVS log of updates since 3.0.0rc2
can be found in the the download directory under the name
ChangeLog-3.0.0rc2-3.0.0rc3.  The release notes are available
on-line at

    http://www.samba.org/samba/whatsnew/samba-3.0.0rc3.html

Please file any bugs you find in this release at

    https://bugzilla.samba.org/

As always, all bugs are our responsibility.

                                  --Enjoy
                                  The Samba Team