[Samba] smbpasswd -a issues

Sean Kellogg skellogg at u.washington.edu
Mon Sep 8 20:24:06 GMT 2003

This totally worked a few days ago...  when running 'smbpasswd -a user
-D 5' I get the following:

root at logos:/home/niles/ldap/debian# smbpasswd -a user -D 5
Netbios name list:-
my_netbios_names[0]="LOGOS"
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Trying to load: ldapsam:ldap://logos.biostat.washington.edu
Attempting to register passdb backend ldapsam
Successfully added passdb backend 'ldapsam'
Attempting to register passdb backend ldapsam_compat
Successfully added passdb backend 'ldapsam_compat'
Attempting to register passdb backend smbpasswd
Successfully added passdb backend 'smbpasswd'
Attempting to register passdb backend tdbsam
Successfully added passdb backend 'tdbsam'
Attempting to register passdb backend guest
Successfully added passdb backend 'guest'
Attempting to find an passdb backend to match
ldapsam:ldap://logos.biostat.washington.edu (ldapsam)
Found pdb backend ldapsam
Searching for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=LOGOS))]
smbldap_search_suffix: searching
for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=LOGOS))]
smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: succesful connection to the LDAP server
The LDAP server is succesful connected
pdb backend ldapsam:ldap://logos.biostat.washington.edu has a valid init
Attempting to find an passdb backend to match guest (guest)
Found pdb backend guest
pdb backend guest has a valid init
smbldap_search_suffix: searching
for:[(&(uid=user)(objectclass=sambaSamAccount))]
Unable to locate user [user] count=0
Finding user user
Trying _Get_Pwnam(), username as lowercase is user
Trying _Get_Pwnam(), username as uppercase is USER
Checking combinations of 0 uppercase letters in user
Get_Pwnam_internals didn't find user [user]!
Failed initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user user.
Failed to modify password entry for user user

As you can see, I'm using ldap, and running at a higher debug value
shows that I am successfully connecting to the ldap server.  This works
fine if the user already has a posix account established...  but it used
to create the account automagically.  While its not the end of the world
in terms of users, it is very troublesome when trying to add a machine
to the domain (where it evokes smbpasswd -am MACHINE NAME).  Again,
broken.   But this totally worked a few days ago.  While I'm not surp

The only thing I can think of is that I upgraded to 3.0.0rc2-Debian from
3.0.0rc1-Debian.  But that seems like an odd thing to change.  Has
anyone else experienced this problem?

smb.conf
--------
[global]
  netbios name = logos
  workgroup = logos

  encrypt passwords = true
  unix password sync = no
  ldap passwd sync = yes
  pam password change = yes
  obey pam restrictions = yes

  domain master = yes
  local master = yes
  preferred master = yes
  os level = 65

  passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://logos.biostat.washington.edu
  ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=biostat,dc=washington,dc=edu
  ldap suffix = dc=biostat,dc=washington,dc=edu
  ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
  ldap user suffix = ou=People
  ldap group suffix = ou=Group
  ldap ssl = off

  security = user
  domain logons = yes
  wins server = 128.95.29.52

  logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u
  logon script = logon.bat

  logon drive = H:

  time server = yes

  idmap uid = 10000-65000
  idmap gid = 10000-65000
  add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false %u

  printing = BSD
  load printers = yes
  printer admin = @domadmin
  printcap name = /etc/printcap

----

Help would be appreciated...  hell, "it works for me" would even be
good, as then I know its something I'm doing at not the developers.

-Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
University of Washington

"Linux is to the internet what duct tape is to everything else"