[Samba] cross-subnet domain join issue

Sean Kellogg skellogg at u.washington.edu
Mon Sep 8 18:45:03 GMT 2003

Okay, I'm clearly not as smart as I'd hoped, as I failed to have my
Samba PDC connect to our WINS server.  Adding the server IP has changed
things, but I'm still experiencing difficulties.

Here's my nmdb log from startup....  there's some strange stuff in here.

-----------------

[2003/09/08 11:29:20, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_nameregister.c:register_name_response(130)
  register_name_response: server at IP 128.95.113.168 rejected our name
registration of LOGOS<00> IP 128.95.113.9 with error code 6.
[2003/09/08 11:29:20, 0] nmbd/nmbd_mynames.c:my_name_register_failed(36)
  my_name_register_failed: Failed to register my name LOGOS<00> on
subnet 128.95.113.9.
[2003/09/08 11:29:20, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_namelistdb.c:standard_fail_register(283)
  standard_fail_register: Failed to register/refresh name LOGOS<00> on
subnet 128.95.113.9
[2003/09/08 11:29:20, 0] nmbd/nmbd_logonnames.c:add_logon_names(163)
  add_domain_logon_names:
  Attempting to become logon server for workgroup LOGOS on subnet
128.95.113.9
[2003/09/08 11:29:20, 0] nmbd/nmbd_logonnames.c:add_logon_names(163)
  add_domain_logon_names:
  Attempting to become logon server for workgroup LOGOS on subnet
UNICAST_SUBNET
[2003/09/08 11:29:20, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_wins(327)
  become_domain_master_browser_wins:
  Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup LOGOS, subnet
UNICAST_SUBNET.
[2003/09/08 11:29:20, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_wins(341)
  become_domain_master_browser_wins: querying WINS server from IP
0.0.0.0 for domain master browser name LOGOS<1b> on workgroup LOGOS
[2003/09/08 11:29:25, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_logonnames.c:become_logon_server_success(124)
  become_logon_server_success: Samba is now a logon server for workgroup
LOGOS on subnet 128.95.113.9
[2003/09/08 11:29:41, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_logonnames.c:become_logon_server_success(124)
  become_logon_server_success: Samba is now a logon server for workgroup
LOGOS on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET
[2003/09/08 11:29:41, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_query_fail(252)
  become_domain_master_query_fail: Error 0 returned when querying WINS
server for name LOGOS<1b>.
[2003/09/08 11:29:43, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(396)
  *****

  Samba name server LOGOS is now a local master browser for workgroup
LOGOS on subnet 128.95.113.9

  *****
[2003/09/08 11:30:03, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(350)
  find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
  Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name LOGOS<1b> for the
workgroup LOGOS.
  Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
[2003/09/08 11:34:20, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_wins(327)
  become_domain_master_browser_wins:
  Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup LOGOS, subnet
UNICAST_SUBNET.
[2003/09/08 11:34:20, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_wins(341)
  become_domain_master_browser_wins: querying WINS server from IP
0.0.0.0 for domain master browser name LOGOS<1b> on workgroup LOGOS
[2003/09/08 11:34:40, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_query_fail(252)
  become_domain_master_query_fail: Error 0 returned when querying WINS
server for name LOGOS<1b>.
[2003/09/08 11:39:25, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_wins(327)
  become_domain_master_browser_wins:
  Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup LOGOS, subnet
UNICAST_SUBNET.
[2003/09/08 11:39:25, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_wins(341)
  become_domain_master_browser_wins: querying WINS server from IP
0.0.0.0 for domain master browser name LOGOS<1b> on workgroup LOGOS
[2003/09/08 11:39:25, 1]
nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(95)
  process_logon_packet: Logon from 128.95.113.168: code = 0x12
[2003/09/08 11:39:25, 1]
nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(95)
  process_logon_packet: Logon from 128.95.113.168: code = 0x12
[2003/09/08 11:39:46, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_query_fail(252)
  become_domain_master_query_fail: Error 0 returned when querying WINS
server for name LOGOS<1b>.

Some googling tells me that its okay that it might be okay for the IP to
be listed as 0.0.0.0...  but I'm not so sure.  Can anyone confirm?

In addition, any theories as to what exactly Error 0 might be...  what
about Error 6?

Thanks,
Sean