[Samba] Re: Computer Appears in Wrong Workgroup

Dan Rasmussen dras_2001 at msn.com
Mon Sep 8 14:30:19 GMT 2003

Hello,

First of all thank you for your fast reply!
I backed up my smb.conf and deleted several samba directories
(/var/lib/samba, /var/log/samba, /var/samba/cache or something like that,
and another), did a remove --purge samba and reinstalled, immediately after
replacing smb.conf with the one I'd saved and restarting the samba service.
I'm still on the "Workgroup" workgroup according to both my machine and a
Windows one in the area- though I can't access my share because
LinNeighborhood "Can't resolve address" and Windows "Cannot find the network
name".  Is the change supposed to take a while while it filters through the
SMB network?

Any other ideas?  Maybe Samba starting by default when I install the package
messes up, and if I replaced the default smb.conf with my own before Samba
starts for the first time it would work?  That sounds awfully weird to me
though, that it would be dependent on anything other than this one smb.conf
file and reloading/restarting smbd...

Thanks again,
Dan