[Samba] Upgrading 3.0alpha -> 3.0.0.rc2, error C000019b for old users only

Dirk Hüsken dirk.huesken at student.uni-tuebingen.de
Sun Sep 7 18:29:17 GMT 2003

I am having trouble upgrading my installation of Samba. My setup is:

- Debian Woody x86
- Samba 3.0.0rc2 (upgrading from alpha22)
- Samba acting as a PDC
- Samba accounts and Posix accounts in an LDAP directory (OpenLDAP from
Debian)

I have successfully compiled and installed the new version. I have
extracted all users from the LDAP tree and converted them to the new
schema using the perl script .../examples/LDAP/convertSambaAccount.

I made a backup of my old samba dir (/usr/local/samba) and installed
the new one to this location. Copied the old smb.conf to
/usr/local/samba/lib.

So far, so good. Trying to log on from any of the NT4 machines in the
lab I am getting the error C000019b blah blah. The FAQ suggests
rejoining the machines to the domain, so I tried that on one machine.
This works not quite as I expected: Users I added after the upgrade can
log on without any problems, but the old users (Administrator, in
particular!) are still getting error C000019b.

As I understand from googling groups and searching mailing lists, it
has something to do with the new samba not using the same domain SID
the old samba was using, so the clients are all confused. Am I getting
this right?

Can anyone tell me how I can extract the old samba's SID? The old
samba's .../private/ did not contain any *.SID files. And how can I
tell the new samba to use a different SID? I need the old users (almost
2000) to be able to log onto the domain.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA,
	Dirk Hüsken

Oh, here's an extract from my smb.conf

    security = user
    domain logons = yes
    domain master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    local master = yes

    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost guest

    idmap backend = ldap:ldap://localhost     # do I need this?
    ldap ssl = no
    ldap suffix = dc=bursa
    ldap user suffix = ou=People
    ldap group suffix = ou=Group