[Samba] Unencrypted/encrypted passwords when connecting from Linux to Win98

mgreis at comcast.net mgreis at comcast.net
Sat Sep 6 17:29:14 GMT 2003

I am trying to use Samba between a RedHat Linux 9 system and several Win98
PC's.  From the Win98 systems, I can see and access the Linux folders I
have made available.  I can see the Win98 PCs and their shared directories
from the Linux box.  Understanding that Win98 requires encrypted
passwords, I have set the "encrypt passwords" keyword in the smb.conf file
to "yes".

When I try to connect from the Linux system to the Win98 PC's and fill in
a userid and password, the dialog box clearly states that the password
will be transmitted unencrypted.  So I am not surprised when the login
fails.  However, I have no idea how to make samba transmit the passwords
encrypted.

I have left the other keywords (which are uncommented) as they were:
        unix password sync = Yes
        pam password change = yes
        obey pam restrictions = yes

because my best understanding of the information in the smb.conf file is
that these should not affect the encryption of the passwords to Windows.

I am sure I have missed something, but I have no idea what.  Can anyone
help?

An unrelated (I think) question: my Windows machines have the default
workgroup name "workgroup".  When I use the Red Hat tool to configure the
Samba options, the workgroup name is erased in the config file when I fill
it in as "workgroup".  I assume this is some anomaly in the configuration
program that doesn't like the name "workgroup" since the keyword is
"workgroup".  I have therefore avoided using the configuration program and
set the name (and other options) manually in the smb.conf file.

Michael

Michael Greis
mgreis at comcast.net
Home 781 449-8007