[Samba] Problems with 2 server and 2 domains

Robert Rati Robert.Rati at motorola.com
Fri Sep 5 14:09:27 GMT 2003

I am trying to set up a windows Domain with Samba 2.2.8a and 2.2.7 on
Debian and Redhat systems (respectively).  This network has two subnets,
so I have a samba server for each subnet, and they are configured to
pass netbios traffic to each other so both networks can be seen in
network neighborhood.  I'm trying to expand this setup and create a
windows Domain that will work like this:

Two samba servers, A and B, that control users that log on to the PCs on
the domain.  Each server has half of the users on it along with their
roaming profile and home directory.  If a user whose account information
is located on server A logs into a machine in subnet A (which is
controlled by server A), then server A authenticates the user and serves
up his profile and home directory to be mapped.  If the user logs into
subnet B (controlled by server B), then server B uses server A for
authentication and the users profile and home directory are served from
server A.  Same thing for a user on server B.

I thought this could be accomplished by setting "security = server" and
setting server A as a "password server" in server B's configuration file
(and vice versa for server A), but that doesn't seem to work.  In fact,
I can't get server B to use server A to authenticate even if server A is
using "security = user" and server B is using "security = server".

I can see how this could be done with multiple NFS mounts on servers
(each mouthing the other's user's directories), but that seems really
messy and I don't think it would allow for the users to easily maintain
their passwords (they'd have to change their password on each server as
all users would have to exist on each server).

Is what I'm trying to do possible?  Can someone help me figure out what
I'm doing wrong?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Rob