[Samba] samba+ldap passwd sync

Antoine Jacoutot ajacoutot at dioranews.com
Fri Sep 5 13:15:24 GMT 2003

Hi !

I'm in trouble...
I'm in the way of building a FreeBSD Samba server with LDAP support.
So far, everything works great except password synchronization.
It is the only thing I need left to do before my server goes into
production, so I'm really looking for help.
What I need is to be able to synchronize the Windows passwords with the
Unix passwords. All passwords are stored in LDAP (ntPassword,
lmPassword, userPassword), so there're no real Unix accounts (I use
pam_ldap+nss_ldap).
I read a lot of docs, tried a lot of scripts (ldapsync, ldapchpasswd...)
but I cannot make it work.
First, I think "passwd program" is never launched, and second, I doubt
those scripts work well with FreeBSD and crypted passwords.
If there's anyone out there willing to help, I'd really appreciate, I'm
out of ideas...

Thanks.

Antoine