[Samba] initial setup - server visible on network, but shares not accessible

G F evervigilant at ndiweb.com
Thu Sep 4 19:16:37 GMT 2003

Hi.  I've been setting up a new samba server, and although I've done it
before, that was with an older version, so I'm having some trouble.

I have smb.conf set up to allow local network connections (192.168.123.
), and testparm confirms that it should work.  I've set a test user with
matching passwords on passwd, smbpasswd and the WinXP workstation.  The
test user is listed in smbusers.  The local network is listed in
hosts.allow (192.168.123. ).  Shares are set up for [homes] and a
general available-to-everyone folder.  I've restarted the init.d/smb
script several times, and all the configuration files are in their
default locations.

When browsing the network from the WinXP workstation, the server is
visible, but I cannot open it to see any available folders.  The error
message, in typical Windows fashion, is not really helpful.  It says
"... You might not have permissions to use this network resource.... The
network path was not found."

I'm sure that there is something simple I'm missing, but I haven't been
able to figure it out.  If anyone can tell what I might not have
configured correctly, please let me know.  Thanks for your time.