[Samba] Re: Howto install multiple printers using the same driver for Samba on Linux?

Bertil Starck best08 at handelsbanken.se
Thu Sep 4 14:23:56 GMT 2003

Guenther wrote:

If you use CUPS for printing each printer has an individal name
(printer queue). So every user can take the right printer.
You can find the printer PPD with names of their printer queue
in the directory /etc/cups/ppd.
With the program cupsaddsmb these PPDs are copied to $print folder
and are publicly available. If you use also the CUPS Postscript
driver the driver together with the PPDs can be downloaded to
every Windows client using the printer installation wizard.
So every user can install his own printer.
Read the CUPS-Chapter in SAMBA-HowTo-Collection (in the SAMBA3-archive)
for details

Bertil wrote:

Thanks Guenther for your quick and informative reply.
But....that's not exactly what I was looking for, though.
I want to have the installation automated on the server-side, so that the drivers for the specific printer are confirmed and installed on the Server. There's no problem to install a printer on a local
PC.

On WIN/NT I would like to have a program, like "adprintx.exe" (from www.jsifaq.com), where I can put these option "/c \\servername\printername /n "drivername" /s "driver_path". This adprintx.exe works
fine and will put the desired printer on my local PC. Any hint on making it work on the Server-side as well?

Best Regards Bertil Starck