[Samba] winbind issues (domain user attempting session with samba)

Preston.Newton at txucom.com Preston.Newton at txucom.com
Thu Sep 4 13:46:40 GMT 2003

Getting error messages when trying to smbmount from another linux system
using a domain user account/passwd

I was getting error:

7362: protocol negotiation failed
SMB connection failed

then I started getting this error:

7373: session setup failed: Call returned zero bytes (EOF)
SMB connection failed

RESPONSE TO PREVIOUS EMAIL:
wbinfo -u (shows all users)
YES it works fine

wbinfo -g (shows all groups)
YES it works fine

getent passwd (shows that nsswitch is working, should show UNIX & NT
users in an /etc/passwd format)
YES it works fine

wbinfo -a user%password (should auth correctly)
This worked also

You may need to set the auth user if Restrict Anonymous is set to 1:

Samba 3.0

wbinfo --set-auth-user Adminstrator%password
Did this for the heck of it....wbinfo/getent work fine still

             Tom Dickson <bombcar at bombcar.com>
             Sent by:
             samba-bounces+preston.newton=txucom.com at lists.samba.org

             09/03/2003 07:56 PM

These commands should all work if everything is set up right:

wbinfo -u (shows all users)
wbinfo -g (shows all groups)
getent passwd (shows that nsswitch is working, should show UNIX & NT
users in an /etc/passwd format)

wbinfo -a user%password (should auth correctly)

You may need to set the auth user if Restrict Anonymous is set to 1:

Samba 2.2.X

wbinfo -AAdministrator%password

Samba 3.0

wbinfo --set-auth-user Adminstrator%password

Hope this helps. (PS: There is a bug in Beta3 and before that will cause
a user to be unable to access a share if he is a member of too many
groups. I'd recommend Samba 3.0rc2).

- -Tom

Preston.Newton at txucom.com wrote:
| I know I am answering my own questions...so here i go again...it appears
| the more I look at this that the problem is occurring within the line
|
| [2003/09/03 20:37:09, 3] auth/auth_sam.c:check_sam_security(438)
| Couldn't find user 'citrix' in passdb file.
|
| I have been looking to this and it apparently deals with the passdb
backend
| somehow...I can only find items relating to ldap and smbpasswd, but I am
| attempting to use a SAM database from the current NT domain.  Any advice
| would be appreciated...also here is a copy of my smb.conf
file....forgot it