[Samba] smbd and nmbd fail to start

Linda Strefford linda at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Thu Sep 4 09:13:50 GMT 2003

Hi,

Can anyone help with this?

I've installed samba 2.2.8a on Solaris 8. I have used the commands
/opt/local/samba/packages/samba_2.2.8a/sbin/smbd -D
/opt/local/samba/packages/samba_2.2.8a/sbin/nmbd -D

to start the daemons, however both fail to start because they cannot
find the following files

/opt/local/packages/samba/private/secrets.tdb
/opt/local/packages/samba/lib/codepages/unicode_map.850
/opt/local/packages/samba/lib/codepages/unicode_map.IS08859-1
/opt/local/packages/samba/var/locks/nmbd.pid
/opt/local/packages/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid

I don't understand why the files are being searched for under a
directory tree which is different from that which samba is installed in.
eg the error indicated the files are being looked for in
/opt/local/packages/samba
but samba is installed under
/opt/local/samba/packages/samba_2.2.8a.

However, if I look in the /opt/local/samba/packages/samba_2.2.8a
directory for the above files, they are not present there either.

Can anyone advise me on a fix for this?

Thanks,

Linda