[Samba] So SLOW WindowsXPs on a Samba PDC

Lorne lornes at cox.net
Thu Sep 4 05:05:28 GMT 2003

Dear list,

I currently have a small intranet. A 100bt hub, a Mandrake 9.1 box with
an out of the box smb.conf file. I have 2 XP workstations and a ME
workstation. Nothing fancy. The problem is that file tranfers from an XP
workstation to a samba share is extremely slow. About .2 mb a second. If
I transfer files from my linux box to the XP workstation, the transfer
jumps to around 4-5mb a second. A HUGE difference and while on the
mandrake list it is apparent I'm not the only one.

I've done as much digging as I can. I have done packet traces and would
be happy to send those to anyone clever enough to figure it out if they
would care to. Initially the slow transfer had about 25% more frames for
the same file. I found window size set too small. I bumped that up and
now the frame count is the same, but it is still slow. Nothing is
jumping out at me. Other than some minor attempts to find file structure
that doesn't exist.

Any ideas? I'd sure love to hear if anyone has a clue. I've looked at
tweaking XP and smb.conf to no avail.

Lorne