[Samba] Printers not visible in "Add Printer Wizard"

WIm Bakker wim at unetix.nl
Wed Sep 3 10:16:29 GMT 2003

Hello,

I have a problem with samba-3xx (All beta and rc versions) concerning
the visibility in the "Add Printer Wizard" on windows clients.
Printing works fine but that's not the problem, the problem is the
visibilty of the printers defined in smb.conf in the "Add Printer Wizard".
Steps:
Start -> Settings -> Printers ->
"Double Click Add Printer"
Screen appears "Welcome to the Add Printer Wizard"
Click Next ->
Screen "Local or Network Printer"
Comment "Network Printer"
Click Next ->
Screen "Locate Your Printer"
Comment "Type the Printer Name or click Next to locate the Printer"
Click Next ->
Screen "Browse for Printer"
In the browse screen appear : "Microsoft Windows Network"
                                       and     "UNETIX"
No machines appear that would be sharing printers,
though the samba server is set to have a network printer
shared.
When I fill in in the screen "Local or Network Printer"
in the field "Name" the service and the printername
(like "\\fileserver\lp" ) and then click next , the printer
is added and fully usable, but one way or another
if I use the browse network to locate the printer , it doesn't
show up, this worked under 2.2 versions flawlessly.
smb.conf:
[global]
        workgroup = unetix
        netbios name = fileserver
        server string = Filemaker Server
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        passdb backend = smbpasswd
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c Machine -d
/dev/null -s /bin/false %m$
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g users -m -s /bin/false %U
        logon script = logon.bat
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
        logon drive = H
        logon home = \\%L\%U\.profile
        domain logons = yes
        os level = 64
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        local master = Yes
        wins support = yes
        admin users = @wheel
       load printers = yes
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        disable spoolss = Yes
        use client driver = Yes
        print command = lpr -r -P %p %s
[printers]
  comment = all printers
  path = /var/spool/samba
  printable = Yes
  browseable = No
  guest ok = Yes
  public = Yes
  writable = No
  printer admin = @wheel

How can I make the printers visible in the
"Add Printer Wizard".
The printers are perfectly visible in the
"My Network Places" screens, so what's the difference?

TIA
Wim Bakker
--
UnetIX Linux Solutions BV