[Samba] Too Many Open Files problem...

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Tue Sep 2 17:41:45 GMT 2003

I have a problem on the two heaviest-used Samba servers in my company.  They
both are exhibiting the same problem, just in different ways.

Stargazer is my "Main" File and LDAP directory server - it functions as the
"PDC" for my network.  It's running Red Hat Enterprise Linux "ES" 2.1, a
recompiled custom Red Hat "ES" version of Samba 2.2.7 (to add LDAP
functionality), and OpenLDAP 2.0.27.

Valykyrie is my "Print and Backup" server.  It's running Red Hat 8.0, a
recompiled Red Hat 8 version of Samba 2.2.7 (as above), OpenLDAP 2.0.27 and
CUPS 1.1.17.

With the exceptions of configuration for Primary LDAP server/LDAP client,
the machines are configured roughly the same.  Both were constructed using
the IDEALX.org Samba+LDAP HOWTO. And both run quite well - for a while.

Then, they will quit responding to connection requests an even local logon
requests.  This doesn't happen at the same time on both machines - it
appears that the failures are not connected in any way other than both
system logs report "Too many open files".  On Stargazer it seems to be
associated with OpenLDAP (slapd) and Valykyrie's problems seem to stem from
nscd.  This is shown in the following snippets from each
"/var/log/messages":

STARGAZER:
Aug 24 20:20:00 stargazer slapd[32271]: warning: cannot open
/etc/hosts.allow: Too many open files
Aug 24 20:20:00 stargazer slapd[32271]: warning: cannot open
/etc/hosts.deny: Too many open files
Aug 24 20:20:00 stargazer slapd[32271]: warning: cannot open
/etc/hosts.allow: Too many open files
Aug 24 20:20:00 stargazer slapd[32271]: warning: cannot open
/etc/hosts.deny: Too many open files

VALYKYRIE:
Sep  2 03:25:38 valykyrie nscd: 718: while accepting connection: Too many
open files

The reason I post this inquiry here is that both machines are running Samba
and as such both depend on these daemons for proper functioning.  I am
hoping that someone on the list will be able to give a pointer as to the
cause of the problem.  If I need to ask this elsewhere, please advise me.

I have 5 other machines running Samba just not with the load of the these
two.  The other machines seem to be unaffected by this problem - as yet.

Any help will be appreciated...
--
Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager