[Samba] Printing to Windows XP printer from LFS-4.1 Linux via SAMBA 2.2.8

Mike Hurley mike_hurley_1 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 2 16:49:18 GMT 2003

Machine info-
(names are netbios names)

LINUXBOX
OS: LFS-4.1 Linux
SAMBA 2.2.8
No CUPS installed
Ran SWAT once just to get a basic config file, no
shares from this machine.

DESKTOP
OS: Windows XP Home SP1
Sharing a HP Deskjet 648C through LPT1
Sharing is enabled on LAN connection
Only has one user, Mike, that has no password

I can do "smbclient -L DESKTOP" and it will list its
shares.  I can also do "smbclient //DESKTOP/hp648c"
and get the "smb: \>" prompt after typing a blank
password.

Command I tried to print to my printer:
smbspool smb://DESKTOP/hp648c na na "test" 1 na
/etc/fstab

Note: the "na"s are for args that smbspool's manpage
said are ignored

When I execute this command, I get this message:

ERROR: Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in
60 seconds...
ERROR: SMB tree connect failed:
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

What do I do to fix this?

Any help is appreciated.
Mike

=====
"You're nuts, N-V-T-S nuts!"
   ---Swiftus from Mel Brooks' History of the World, Part I