[Samba] Samba3 / iPlanet DS 5.1 on Solaris 9

Chew, Darren darrenc at vicscouts.asn.au
Mon Sep 1 09:49:39 GMT 2003

Hi All,

Has anyone had experience with Samba 3 running on Solaris 9 and using the
inbuilt iPlanet Directory Server?

We have an existing NT4 domain that we are using to implement SSO
authentication (using pam_smb). We are now looking at moving to a more
scalable back end like LDAP but want to preserve the existing
authentication credentials.

I have read bits and pieces of the SMB howto collection and understand
that the command "net rpc vampire" may be of help. Does this suck NT4
credentials into LDAP as sambaAccount objects? What about the userPassword
attribute in posixAccount? Can samba use this for authorizing NT logins?
can samba use this for authentication?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Darren