[Samba] Migrating a samba setup to another server

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Thu Oct 16 04:45:31 GMT 2003

Hi all.

We're doing a major network upgrade, and I'm considering setting up
Samba-3 as a PDC.
The computer I want to install it onto already has Samba-2 running (
just a member of an NT4 domain ), and I *need* to keep it up 24/7 until
I finish the upgrade. Therefore, I'd like to do the install on a
temporary system, set up the PCs in the new domain, and then migrate
everything to the real server.

I'd like to use Gentoo's portage to do the compilation. It gives me the
directories:

/etc/samba
/var/lib/samba

as well as the binaries of course.

If I set up all the computers into the Samba-3 domain on the temporary
sytem, can I just compile samba on the other computer ( also Gentoo ),
copy the /etc/samba and /var/lib/samba directories, and then copy the
entries from /etc/passwd onto the real server?

Is there an easier way to migrate the setup?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

--
Daniel Kasak