[Samba] Re: machine accounts aren't added properlywithsmbldap-useradd.pl + ldap backend

J B Bell jbbell at octigabay.com
Thu Oct 16 00:24:23 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 17:11, Carl Weiss wrote:
> may want to check if this is uncommented in your smbldap-useradd.pl file
>

> if (!$with_smbpasswd) {
>
> # (jtournier)
>
> # Objectclass sambaSAMAccount is now added directly by samba when joigning
> the domain (for samba3)
>
> if (!add_samba_machine_mkntpwd($userName, $userUidNumber)) {
>
> die "$0: error while adding samba account\n";
>
> }
>
> } else {
>
> if (!add_samba_machine($userName)) {
>
> die "$0: error while adding samba account\n";
>
> }

Actually, I have now tried this both ways.

If I set the add machine script as suggested up-thread, it does create
the machine, but I still get an error saying the account doesn't exist.

The really odd thing is that smbldap-useradd.pl is adding the machine
with the same uid as the previously-created (just previously, that is)
"root" account.  This seems to make it impossible to look up the machine
account.

If I don't uncomment that line, the machine account never gets found,
since it lacks the sambaSAMAccount objectclass.

This is pretty odd.  Anyone else seen anything like this?  Manually
adding machine accounts with a "fixed" smbldap-useradd.pl does seem to
work, but this is a pain.  Samba also appears not to deal gracefully if
a machine account exists already when it joins a domain.

--JB