[Samba] Samba 3 - can not use Samba resources from Win2k

Ron Gage ron at rongage.org
Thu Oct 16 00:05:07 GMT 2003

Hi folks (again)...

I have Samba 3 installed (compiled from source) with Kerberos 5v1.3.1 also
installed (from source).

My problem is that none of the domain users can use any resources from the Samba
server.  The Samba server is (trying to be) in Domain mode (security = ads).

The Samba server has been joined to the domain and shows up nicely in AD Users
and Computers (on the Windows 2000 Advanced Server that is my AD domain
controller).

Here is the kerberos utils output from the Samba server...

root at raid:~# kinit
Password for administrator at RONGAGE.ORG:
root at raid:~# klist
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
Default principal: administrator at RONGAGE.ORG

10/15/03 19:35:14  10/16/03 05:35:02  krbtgt/RONGAGE.ORG at RONGAGE.ORG
        renew until 10/16/03 19:35:14

Kerberos 4 ticket cache: /tmp/tkt0
klist: You have no tickets cached
root at raid:~#

Here is the contents of /etc/krb5.conf:

root at raid:/etc# less krb5.conf
[libdefaults]
  default_realm = RONGAGE.ORG

[realms]
  RONGAGE.ORG = {
    kdc = domain.rongage.org:88
    default_domain = RONGAGE.ORG
  }

And for completeness, here is the smb.conf:

#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: LINUX2
   workgroup = RONGAGE
   netbios name = RAID
   server string = Samba Server
;   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
   load printers = no
#   log level = 10
   idmap uid = 10000-20000
   idmap gid = 10000-20000
   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes
   template homedir = /home/%D/%U
   template shell = /bin/bash
   security = ads
   password server = domain.rongage.org
   encrypt passwords = yes
   realm = rongage.org

;   printcap name = /etc/printcap
;   printcap name = lpstat
;   printing = bsd
;  guest account = pcguest
   log file = /var/log/samba.%m
   max log size = 50
;   security = user
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>
;  encrypt passwords = yes
;   include = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.%m
;   interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24
;   local master = no
;   os level = 33
;   domain master = yes
;   preferred master = yes
;   domain logons = yes
;   logon script = %m.bat
;   logon script = %U.bat
;   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
;   wins support = yes
;   wins server = w.x.y.z
;   wins proxy = yes
   dns proxy = no

;[homes]
;   comment = Home Directories
;   browseable = no
;   writable = yes

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
; [netlogon]
;   comment = Network Logon Service
;   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
;   guest ok = yes
;   writable = no
;   share modes = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
;[Profiles]
;    path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
;    browseable = no
;    guest ok = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
;[printers]
;   comment = All Printers
;   path = /var/spool/samba
;   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
;   guest ok = no
;   writable = no
;   printable = yes

# This one is useful for people to share files
;[tmp]
;   comment = Temporary file space
;   path = /tmp
;   read only = no
;   public = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
# the "staff" group
[data]
   comment = Accounting
   path = /data
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   guest ok = yes
   create mode = 777
   directory mode = 777

Can anybody please tell me what the heck I am doing wrong???

Thanks!

--
Ronald R. Gage
MCP, LPIC1, A+, Net+