[Samba] Newbie Question about File Systems

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Wed Oct 15 18:21:58 GMT 2003

It depends on what you mean by 'NTFS security'.  You can get ACLs (Access
Control Lists) by patching your kernel and recompiling Samba.  I use this on
ext2fs and it works well.  This will let you maintain lists of user and
group permissions like you can on NTFS, but it will not get you the
NT-specific permissions such as Take Ownership -- just read/write
permissions.

If you're in an NT domain you may also want to look into using winbind.
Winbind and ACLs, together, give you a pretty good approximation of an NT
domain member file server.

You can find more information on Linux ACLs here: http://acl.bestbits.at/