[Samba] Newbie Question about File Systems

kend at xanoptix.com kend at xanoptix.com
Wed Oct 15 18:21:51 GMT 2003

> Is there anyway to support NFTS security on linux.  it might mean
> compiling a new file system into the kernal?  I don't know.  Is there a
> how to that anyone can point me to.

The bad news is that, no, there is no way to give the fine-grained control
that NTFS has to most _stock_ 2.4.x kernels.  The good news is that you can
compile in the ACLs (Access Control Lists) with the 2.4 kernel and some
patches, or you can wait six months until the major distributions have
started shipping the 2.6 kernel, which supports ACLs out of the gate.  [Note:
that estimate presumes that 2.6.0 is released in the relatively near future
-- my current guess is 11/21, but that's just me.]  For a info on ACLs and
the like, check out stuff over at http://acl.bestbits.at/ or
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/ .

-Ken

P.S.  There are also some articles here and there about ACL support, though
I'm not sure which ones are on-line; you might check over at linuxjournal.com
and linuxmagazine.com to see what's available.