[Samba] Re: [OT]SPAM

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Wed Oct 15 12:45:22 GMT 2003

I think this is the risk you take if you use a vital email address to post
to public forums.  I would suggest using seperate addresses for these
functions.  Besides, if you don't have the ability to filter mail, just the
sheer daily volume of *legitimate* mail on this list is going to be a
problem.

> Furthermore, I'm subscribed to 20+ mailing lists on this
> account (from
> various services, including private lists, Yahoo Groups,
> etc.) The spam
> count was about 10 per day until I subscribed to the Samba
> list. Now it's
> over 200. Argue as much as you like, but no one else seems to
> have this
> problem.

Including me -- I've been subscribed to the Samba list for years and I don't
get unmanagable numbers of viruses.

I've also seen bursts of virus traffic for no apparent reason.  It could be
a coincidence.  Correlation != causation.

There's also always the question of what your ISP is doing.  My
ameritech.net account gets vast quantities of spam, and started getting it
before I even used it!  I can only assume Ameritech is selling their email
list.