[Samba] Can't add machine account with 3.0.0; ldapsam backend (RESENT)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 15 06:22:58 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 21:47, Ronny Adsetts wrote:
> jean-marc pouchoulon said the following on 14/10/03 12:10:
>
>  >>they sould be created
>  >>on the fly as they were with 3.0.0beta1.
>  >
>  >
>  > 	As I can see, with 3.0 stable this is not done.
>  >
>  >
>  > pdbedit -a -m testonsddd$ -D99
>  > ...
>  > ldapsam_modify_entry: Failed to add user dn=
>  > uid=testonsddd$,ou=pc,o=g,c=fr with: Object c
>  > lass violation
>  >
>  > 	But a AddMachine script make it for me without any problem.
>
> So this is a bug with 3.0 stable then? Not requiring an account prior to
> joining the domain when using LDAP backend is a documented feature
> AFAICR... can't point to the exact documentation right now though... :-)

So called 'non unix account' support was removed prior to release.  It
is not intended to return - certainly not in the guise perviously seen.
You need an 'add machine script' and 'add user script' to fill in the
bits of LDAP.

Generally, I like the idea that we might be able to do this without
scripts, but that's not possible at the moment.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net