[Samba] Machine accounts

Dani Pardo dani at enplater.com
Tue Oct 14 10:14:07 GMT 2003

Mensaje citado por Michael Gasch <gasch at eva.mpg.de>:

> a short answer
>
> yes, you always need this posix-account - no matter which backend you use
>
> i'm using ldap with this structure
>
> users in ou=users,... (posix and samba)
> machines in ou=machines,... (posix and samba)
>
> and i'm not able to add samba users with just "#
> /usr/local/samba/bin/pdbedit -a -m machine_name", because there's no
> posix-account

  Mmm.. I turned again to LDAP sam, and now I've been able to add machine
accounts, but this way:
  I've made an ldif file taken from an user possixAccount (one entry that does
not contain any samba attribute). I've adapted this file with the name of the
machine (with the trailing $).

  Then:

   # /usr/local/samba/bin/pdbedit -a -m -u machine_name$

   So, pdbedit adds the samba attributes, and the ou=Computers stills with no
entries (everything goes into ou=People).
   So I have the same mess in LDAP that I was having with smbpasswd file in
samba 2, no? Isn't it too complicated?

Dani Pardo, dani at enplater.com
Enplater S.A