[Samba] This is frustrating! Need some Help

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Mon Oct 13 18:38:54 GMT 2003

Hello everyone.
Im not sure what is wrong here, but I cant seem to figure out why one of my
users cannot access a share on a file server that we are running here.

Running on RH 8.0, samba 2.2.7a. (Planning on upgrading eventually)

Anyway, one user for some reason, cannot access the share through his
network neighborhood icon.

Here is the share info:

[AdminDirectory]
         comment = administrators information
         path = /backupstorage/admindirectory
         valid users = @wheel matt
         read only = No

The user is matt, who is also apart of the wheel group:

$ groups matt
matt : matt wheel

Looking at permissions on the share:

$ ls -lad /backupstorage/admindirectory/
drwxrwxr--   26 admin    wheel        4096 Oct  9 11:00
/backupstorage/admindirectory/

I pushed the permissions down, recursively...but still, the user 'matt'
cannot access the share.

I'm having a bugger of a time trying to figure this out.
Anyone have any ideas?

Lastly, looking in /var/log/samba I see a bunch of logs in there for
computers and such. What log file would i use to read to see if I can find
the problem?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jason