[Samba] Uploading Printer Driver Files
S.Law at ed.ac.uk
Mon Oct 13 13:48:22 GMT 2003
I'm close to succeeding in uploading new drivers but it just won't
work. I'm running v2.2.1a on a sun box and w2k on the client.
- In my conf file, I've defined a print$ share, an entry in printcap
and put in a definition of the printer.
- I've also added my own user name to the printer admin list
- I've created the directory that print$ points to, created W32X86
directory and made the dirs all 777 for the time being.
- Logging in as myself (local and domain admin rights) I make a
mapping to \\server\print$, goto the printers folder on my samba
server, right click and choose properties.
- I then choose New Driver and point it at the directory containing
the latest driver files I just downloaded from HP.
It all looks good until I get to the Finish screen where I guess it is
about to upload the drivers and then it gives me the error message
"Unable to install driver. operation could not be completed".
Inside the print$/W32X86 directory is a new subdirectory called
__SKIP_0312 and in the log file there is the error message
clientname (ip_address) couldn't find service
I checked that I can write to the print$ share and have also repeated
the process while logged in as samba root.
I've also tried it after having installed the drivers locally first by
Hopefully I've missed something obvious here ??????
School of Mathematics, Edinburgh University.
Phone: 0131 650 5037 , Email: S.Law at ed.ac.uk
Home Page: http://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/~steve
More information about the samba