[Samba] printers: access denied -- but why?

Chris Evans chris at psyctc.org
Mon Oct 13 05:27:55 GMT 2003

I am running 2.2.3a-12.3 on Debian stable with Win2k machine and an
XP machine on a small home network.  I have only just started using
printer support and seemed to have it fine with a postscript and a
"raw" connection for the HP LJ5MP printer (with internal PS) working
fine from W2k and WXP.  Then I took the server down as I'll need
another parallel port in it.  Rebooted after looking inside (didn't
change anything) and now I document creation error when I try to
print and "access denied, unable to connect" (in the printer status
in W2k) when I try to redefine a new printer.

testparm says OK, here's the printers verse from /etc/samba/smb.conf

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   browseable = yes
   path = /var/spool/lpd
   read only = yes
   printable = yes
   public = yes
   writable = no
   guest ok = yes
   create mode = 0755

Here's the whole of /etc/printcap:

# - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1
# - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
aps1|PS;r=300x300;q=medium;c=full;p=a4;m=auto:\
    :lp=/dev/lp0:\
    :if=/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/aps1:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/aps1/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/aps1/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:
# APS1_END - don't delete this

rawlj:\
        :rw:sh:
        :lp=/dev/lp0
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/rawlj
        :fx=flp

When I initialise that with lpc reread I get:

store:/var/spool/lpd# ls -lsart rawlj
total 16
   4 drwsrwxrwx    6 daemon   lp           4096 Oct 12 20:24 ..
   4 -rw-------    1 daemon   lp             56 Oct 13 06:24 lpq.0
   4 -rw-------    1 daemon   lp             54 Oct 13 06:24 lpq
   4 drwxrwxrwx    2 lp       lp           4096 Oct 13 06:24 .

I've clearly got permissions wrong but I have lost the plot now
despite reading through lots of documentation.  I'll connect the
printer directly to the Windoze machine now for some printing and
pray that some kind person can correct me while I go and find a 2nd
parallel port card!

TIA,

Chris
PSYCTC: Psychotherapy, Psychology, Psychiatry, Counselling
   and Therapeutic Communities; practice, research,
   teaching and consultancy.
Chris Evans & Jo-anne Carlyle
http://psyctc.org/ Email: chris at psyctc.org