[Samba] Samba 3.0 as Active Directory Domain Controller withMIT Kerberos

Rich Webb rwebb at wmis.net
Sun Oct 12 21:46:54 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "John H Terpstra" <jht at samba.org>
To: "Jane Deer" <jane at gnosys.biz>
Cc: <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 3:38 PM

> What is inaccurate please? I am ready to fix it!

You are apparently one of the authors of the samba HOWTO collection.  I
would just first like to say thank you for an awesome document.  It helped
immensly for resolving my weekend of hair pulling.

I was wondering if perhaps you could add something in the winbind section
about how to configure a samba share using NT or 2k domain groups.  I found
out the hard way that if I leave the configuration directive "winbind use
default domain = yes" then I cannot in any way specify a domain group as the
valid users for a share (unless there is a way that I don't know).  I tried
just the group name, I tried the domain name+group name, then I removed the
+ as the seperator and tried domain name\group name.  Nothing worked.  Once
I removed the use default domain directive, I was able to fully specify a
group and it worked great!  This just means that logging into the linux box
as a windows user is a little more painful.

Rich.