[Samba] No network neighborhood

J. Frisbie jf-samba at stan.mit.edu
Sun Oct 12 20:05:51 GMT 2003

Hello,

I don't get a network neighborhood, even though I can browse to the "windows
network"
via "Entire Network". I'm using samba 3.0.0 configured as WINS, DMB, LMB and
PDC. Each
windows (2k & xp) machine is configured with the samba server as its wins server
(the
goal is to reduce broadcasts). All ip/ethernet configuration, dns lookups and ip
routing
all work. Any thoughts on what could be going wrong?

Thanks, Joe

Here is what the config file looks like:

[global]
  ##Names
  workgroup = SENS
  server string = File Server
  netbios name = files-0

  ## Security
  hosts allow = 10.36.70.
  encrypt passwords = yes
  security = user

  ## Nework
  interfaces = 10.36.70.30/24 127.0.0.1
  bind interfaces only = yes

  ## Global Options
  create mask = 0775
  directory mask = 0775
  inherit permissions = true
  hide dot files = yes
  read only = no
  guest ok = no

  ## WinDNS
  wins support = yes
  name resolve order = wins
  remote browse sync = 18.62.8.49

  ## Browsing
  domain master = yes
  local master = yes
  preferred master = yes
  os level = 65

  ## Passwords
  passdb backend = ldapsam:ldaps://ldap.sens.rle.mit.edu
  ldap admin dn = cn=SambaAdmin,ou=Roles,dc=sens,dc=rle,dc=mit,dc=edu
  ldap suffix = dc=sens,dc=rle,dc=mit,dc=edu
  ldap user suffix = ou=People
  ldap machine suffix = ou=Machines
#?  ldap trust ids = yes
  ldap passwd sync = yes
  ldap delete dn = no

  ## Domain
  domain logons = yes
#This is broken...  logon path = //%L/profiles/%u_%m_%H_%a
  logon drive = H:

... and just shares after this.
"smbclient -L files-0" from another unix box looks like this:

Anonymous login successful

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        files-0        Disk
        backup         Disk
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (File Server)
        ADMIN$         IPC       IPC Service (File Server)
Anonymous login successful

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        AJEXP1