[Samba] Samba 3 & ADS: nobody can log in

Ron Gage ron at rongage.org
Sun Oct 12 17:32:56 GMT 2003

Well, I got past the part about the "ads server" parameter...  :)

Now, it appears that nobody in the AD Domain can log into (and use) any
resources on the Samba share.

If I set "security = ads" on Samba, then nobody can log into the server -
period.

A couple of silly questions at this point (before I go completely mad)...

1) Is there any requirement that LDAP be functioning on the Samba machine?
2) Are there any hidden dependancies (like PAM) that are required to make this
work?

More background:  The Samba machine has successfully joined the domain (it
shows up in AD Users and Computers), kinit works fine when logging in as
Administrator.

Here is the dump from klist:

root at raid:~# klist -e
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
Default principal: administrator at RONGAGE.ORG

10/11/03 21:25:32  10/12/03 07:25:34  krbtgt/RONGAGE.ORG at RONGAGE.ORG
        renew until 10/12/03 21:25:32, Etype (skey, tkt): ArcFour with
HMAC/md5, ArcFour with HMAC/md5
10/11/03 21:34:16  10/12/03 07:25:34  domain$@RONGAGE.ORG
        renew until 10/12/03 21:25:32, Etype (skey, tkt): ArcFour with
HMAC/md5, ArcFour with HMAC/md5

Kerberos 4 ticket cache: /tmp/tkt0
klist: You have no tickets cached
root at raid:~#