[Samba] SUCCESS report: samba3 as single-sign-on provider in heterogeneous network

Marcus Blomenkamp Marcus.Blomenkamp at epost.de
Sun Oct 12 09:34:27 GMT 2003

Am Freitag, 10. Oktober 2003 02:57 schrieben Sie:

> > lan. Roaming profiles perform great with only one warning being spit out
> > on the winxp machines: 'cannot find active directory controller' or
> > similar ;)
>
> That's an interesting one - I've not seen that.  Any ideas what triggers
> it?

Hi,
I classified it as cosmetical. See:
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=15&source=AutoEnrollment

> Personally, I don't think this is the right way to do it - NFS is a much
> better match for unix semantics.    Now, the trouble is securing NFS -
> but I think that NFSv4, SFS (www.fs.net) and the like are a better match
> for this problem space.

Last time I quickly looked over NFSv4 sources it seemed as if they did not
authenticate users but hosts only. There is of course no gain in security
compared to a classical VPN then. I'd appreciate if I were just outdated or
wrong in this regard.

SFS also looks promising on a first glance, i should definitively check their
papers. All those projects seem quite under-represented in print or
online-media.

Best regards, Marcus