[Samba] pam_smb_auth help

Kevin Druet kdruet at wsd1.org
Fri Oct 10 19:36:01 GMT 2003

Hello.

I have been trying to get Red Hat 9 workstations to authenticate via an
NT 4 PDC.

here is my /etc/pam.d/login file,

  auth      required   /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
    auth      required   /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
    auth      sufficient /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
    auth      required   /lib/security/pam_smb_auth.so nolocal
    account   required   /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
    password  required   /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
    password  required   /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so nullok use_authtok
md5 shadow
    session   required   /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
    session   optional   /lib/security/pam_console.so
    session  required    /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/
umask=0022

I have the NT drive containing users home directories mounted on /home.

Im able to login to the RH9 workstation with my NT domain credentials.

the problem I have is that I still  need at the very least, an an entry
in /etc/passwd in order to login with my NT domain credentials....

is there no way to authenticate without having a local /etc/passwd entry
?

I thought that was what the nolocal argument would accomplish.

thanx in advance for any help.

Kevin