[Samba] Problems joining domain w/ Samba 3.0.0 PDC and LDAP backend

J B Bell jbbell at octigabay.com
Fri Oct 10 19:09:01 GMT 2003

Hi,

By going through various HOWTOS and faqs, I have been able to clone our
current, working Samba 2.2.7a implementation and upgrade it to samba
3.0.0.  Unfortunately I'm unable to get a Windows machine to join the
domain.

Looking at the ldap logs, it looks up all userinfo apparently correctly
but I get an "access denied" error when using my own account (which is
in a group that is mapped to Domain Administrators; I also added the
account itself to that entry, but get the same result).  When using the
Administrator account itself, I always get the error "unknown username
or bad password".

How does Samba decide what makes an account worthy of joining a domain?
Does it rely on the uid, sambaSID, or what?  I think if I knew that, I
might be able to lick this problem.

Thanks for any help!  I'll gladly follow up with any pertinent details
that would help answer this.

--JB