[Samba] Memory problem? Help please

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Fri Oct 10 16:46:50 GMT 2003

Hello everyone.

Im having a weird issue, at least I think its an issue.

Im currently running Samba 2.2.8a with OpenLDAP 2.0.27 on the backend to
hold user and machine accounts.
We are also using the samba machine to store users files in their home
folders as well as using it to hold files that can be accessed via a
Windows program.
Everything seems to be working ok, in this current test environment. We
have 5 users testing out this setup right now. When the server goes live,
it will have about 40 users accessing it.

What strikes me as odd, is that it seems that the memory is slowly being
used or dropping.
The machine has 2 gigs of physical ram and a 2 gig swap partition.

When I periodically check the server, I notice that the memory is slowly
dropping. Here is the last output:

Mem:          2512        689       1822          0        179        282
-/+ buffers/cache:        227       2284
Swap:         2000          0       2000

Does not seem like much and I have a lot left, but I want to make sure
everything is correct.
Reason why im confused is that I have a second server that is setup to run
as our Mail server, and our DNS server. It currently gets much much more
traffic and usage and the memory stays pretty high, above 2100...

So I want to rule out any potential problems.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? Is it a problem?

I appreciate everyones help.

Jason