[Samba] higher ascii characaters in smbusers, success!

Erik Soderquist esoderquist at mcstamp.com
Thu Oct 9 19:08:29 GMT 2003

Since you seem to be good with challenges, would you care to try one?
The short version is that I can't automount a share on a windows server
from samba if the machine name has a hyphen in it or if the password has
a space in it. This is from a message I posted previously but got no
response to:

i seem to be having trouble with certain characters in machine names and
passwords.

specifically, there is a hyphen in on of the server's names. this entry
in the fstab file fails to connect with the following error:

# mount /root/it-blackbox/c\$/
Password:
Anonymous login successful
18867: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed

the line from fstab is:

//it-blackbox/c$ /root/it-blackbox/c$ smbfs
noauto,credentials=/root/.smbauth 0 0

the .smbauth file contents are:

username = administrator
workgroup = mcstamp

this work correctly for another share on a machine without the hyphen in
the name on the same domain.

the other problem i have is that the password has a space in it, and I
can't seem to get the password to work using quotes or using the
backslash. this forces me to do an interactive mount (yes, i know i have
it set to noauto for interactive. that is because it fails the password
and i have to do it manually anyway. i don't want it to sit and wait for
the password during bootup.) HELP!!!