[Samba] Understanding the role of DMB/LMB on a net that has a WINS server

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Oct 9 18:04:41 GMT 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, David Wuertele wrote:

> If I have a client that wants to enumerate and access shares on a
> subnet, and that client knows the IP of the WINS server, is there any
> need for the client to use the "browsing" services of a DMB or LMB?
>
> What is the order of operations of the client?  Here is what I imagine
> to be the case:
>
> 1.  client asks LMB for a list of all available shares
> 2.  LMB sends client the list of all known shares
> 3.  for each name in the list of known shares, client asks WINS
>     server for the server's IP address
> 4.  WINS server replies with each name resolution
>
> Is there a document which describes the protocol?  I have read RFC
> 1001 and 1002 but they don't give a high-level procedure.  I think the
> process is also slightly different for M and H hosts.
>
> If there is a WINS server, does there still have to be an LMB and DMB?
> If there is an LMB, why does the client need to access the WINS server
> directly?  Why not just have the LMB do the resolution?  It would
> result in less traffic.

David,

Have you read chapter 10 of the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf? You can obtain
this from http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf.
If you prefer a printed document you can order from Amazon.Com "The
Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide".

If this document does not clearly answer your questions please let me
know so I can fix it.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra