[Samba] File deletion problem with samba 2.2.8a and 3.0.0

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at capflow.com
Thu Oct 9 16:07:23 GMT 2003

Hi everybody,

I'm having problems with a samba PDC (both 2.2.8a and 3.0.0). I have 2 shares
(one of them is public - ie. world writable -, the other one is the homes
shares). when I try to delete a file from any of those, the file is deleted
properly by windows explorer, but it then pops up a message box with the
message "cannot find the specified file".

The same kind of error happens when I try to copy a file to the share. the
file is created with a size of 0 and an error message appears before the file
is filled with data.

I checked the filesystem permissions and samba permissions on the file.

drwxrwsrwx    2 nobody   nobody         80 Oct  9 18:02 .
drwxrwxrwt   35 root     root         1784 Oct  9 17:41 ..
-rw-rw-rw-    1 pinchartl nobody          0 Oct  9 18:02 delete.me

[public]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp/public
   read only = no
   public = yes
   only guest = yes
   create mode = 0666
   directory mode = 0777

I checked the samba logs, and everything is normal. I raised the debug level,
and found out that windows explorer sends an SMBunlink message, which unlinks
the file, and then sends a SMBtrans2 message for the same file, which returns
NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND (I suppose it's normal, as the file has been
deleted). Is that normal ? I'm not very familiar with the SMB protocol, so
maybe I missed something.

I'm running out of ideas. Any help will be welcome.

Laurent Pinchart