[Samba] NT4-Samba Migration Test Results

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Oct 9 14:56:54 GMT 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Ganguly, Sapan  wrote:

> John,
>
> Thank you very much, that has filled in a few gaps but I have one more
> question.  Once I've used pdbedit to migrate everything to an LDAP backend
> how should the scripts part of my smb.conf look then?

The scripts need to be appropriate for the backend database. The scripts
needed to support the Samba3 LDAP schema are included in the
~samba/examples/LDAP directory. You will most likely need to modify them
for your platform.

OS Platform vendors (eg: SuSE) ship their product with highly customized
scripts already in place. It may be worth considering use of a commercial
product so as to avoid the necessity of solving the problem of getting all
of this to work. On the other hand, making it work by yourself can be a
valuable learning experience.

> You see, the way I did it was to set up my LDAP database first, then setup
> Samba and put the scripts from smbldap-tools into my smb.conf.  I then ran

You should consider the complexity of what you are trying to do. I believe
in the KISS (Keep It Surprisingly Simple) approach to building a complex
network. You have created an environment in which you need to master
Samba-3, LDAP and the interaction of MS Windows protocols with them - all
in one big chunk. My approach is simply to make the migration to the least
complex environment possible.

Instead of migrating NT4 directly to Samba-3 and LDAP, why not migrate to
the tdbsam backend. Then when you have completed the migration and are
happy with the configuration migrate tdbsam to LDAP. That final migration
step is relatively simple, as shown by the use of pdbedit.

> 'net rpc vampire' and that took everything across, all the users, groups,
> and computers went into the database. The only problem was that the most
> groups were empty, in fact the only group that is populated is Domain Users.

That sounds to me as if your script for adding uses to groups was
defective. Note however, that Samba-3 does NOT support nested groups. That
is a feature we hope to add some time later.

> We have a lot of groups on our site, each time a new project is started we
> create a new group and put the team members in it, we have hundreds!!  I did
> contemplate putting people back into their groups by hand and I'll have to
> do it if that's the only way but I suspect I'm just using a script wrongly
> or just not using the right script....is there even a script for this?

You probably need to adjust and reconfigure your NT Group architecture
anyhow. Given that Samba-3 is not Windows NT4 or 200x, it is
understandable that trade-offs were made in the design. This means that to
some extent it is impossible to avoid manual reconfiguration.

> So before I start again and do it your way I'd just like to know the answer
> to that last little bit because although your method will give me a complete
> and correct initial database, when my administrators add users and groups to
> the system via NT's UserManager I suspect I will have the same problem.

Use of the NT4 Domain User Manager should work fine. If it does not then
your scripts are the logical suspects. You can use the debug level to
diagnose what instructions samba is receiving and how they are being
executed.

> Oh, one more thing, the passwords don't seem to go across either, next to
> sambaNTPassword and sambaLMPassword I get "XXX".  This may be solved if I do

Your scripts are suspect. I ran two workshops in Switzerland recently,
both migrated an NT4 server to Samba-3 with a tdbsam backend and both
migrated flawlessly with full recovery of the passwords.

> things your way too, but this may also be a problem for administrators when
> adding users via UserManager when I convert back to an LDAP
> backend....hmm...a few more questions have come up in my mind, but I'll save
> them for later...after I have re-read the documentation.  Anyway, in the
> short term I can just add the hashes to an LDIF from a 'net rpc samdump'
> right?

Why do it this way? Fix your scripts instead. That way you only need to
spend your energy once.

> I really appreciate your help so far but I just have to iron these few
> things out, I can't really present this solution to a technical director
> just yet as I don't have it straight in my own head.

Right!

> I promise I have read ALL of the relevant parts of the HOWTO collection but
> for someone like me who is going straight from NT4 to Samba+LDAP you kind of
> have to piece things together from different parts of the documentation
> which is why  I offered to write a complete HOWTO for this specific task, I
> will have to document it all for people here anyway.

Send me your HOWTO when it is done. I'll add it to the documentation.

> I'm going to stop now, I know I'm getting this product and support for it
> free, I don't want to push my luck!

No way! I am billing you for my time and effort. The price I am asking you
to pay is to deliver your HOWTO.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra