[Samba] No NT domain controller is available problem

Andrey Oleinik aoleinik at hain-celestial.com
Thu Oct 9 05:39:19 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I have samba server 2.2.8a to act as a PDC on a mixed
WinXP/Win2k/WinNT
network.
I joined all my workstations to the domain with no
problem...  And users
can login into the domain
and access their folders/printers, BUT!!!  Every now and
then they
cannot log in getting error message
that domain controller cannot be found....

I'm trying to track the problem down :-) When I went thru
the
DIAGNOSIS.TXT, test #5 fails:

[root at homo bin]# ./nmblookup -B CMP0094 '*'
querying * on 0.0.0.0
10.10.8.4 *<00>
[root at homo]#

(Server name is "homo", client is "CMP0094",
the servers IP is 10.10.8.4, the clients ip
is 10.10.8.79)

Shouldn't the above lookup answer with the clients ip?

I have 2 Win2003 servers as domain members as well. Can that
be the
problem?
I mean it seems like Samba 3.x may be the more appropriate
to server
Win2003 systems?

Thanks!
Andrey.