[Samba] Newbie Authentication Questions

Bill Robinson samba at oozy.ws
Thu Oct 9 03:11:45 GMT 2003

Quoting John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org>:

> Bill,
>
> Have you looked at the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf that ships with
> Samba-3.0.0?
>
> The chapter "Account Information Databases" answers your questions. Please
> let me know specifically what has not been well enough explained. What
> needs to be better documented?

Well - the begining of that section says:

"Samba-3 does not support Non-UNIX Account (NUA) operation for user accounts.
Samba-3 does support NUA operation for machine accounts."
So I guess that's possibly half of my problem solved.

I gather that even w/ tdbsam, mysqlsam or xmlsam the /etc/passwd entries are
still required for user accounts, but it seems that xmlsam is not a functional
backend.

So it seems that the only way to do away w/ having Samba accts (users,
machines) in /etc/passwd is to use ldap authentication for both Samba as well
as the OS itself.  Maybe I'm missing something?

Basically what I'm looking for is a way to have a unix box provide the NT
Domain service to a group (uh domain) of NT/2k servers, but have all the
authenticaton/accts/etc be compeletly self-contained in that service, and have
no correlation to the OS authentication/accts/etc - which is guess is the NUA
capability.

So maybe my question should be when will NUA be ready?

Thanks,

-Bill