[Samba] Can't do roaming profiles

Douglas Phillipson phillipd at oem.doe.gov
Wed Oct 8 15:35:11 GMT 2003

I need a little advice on finishing off a Samba PDC.  I have Samba
3.0.0RC1 installed and working as a PDC on a Redhat AS 3.0 machine.  It
authenticates users nicely but the "roaming" profiles don't work.
Tailing the samba log, I see the an attempt to access the users
ntuser.dat file, which doesn't exist before the first logon, when
logging in. The profile directory (/home/profiles/<username> DOES get
created by samba when the user logs in.  When the user logs off, there
is no reference, in the log that ntuser.dat is being written with the
users updated profile.  In fact the ntuser.dat file is not created on
the samba server.  If I "touch ntuser.dat" in the profile directory on
the samba PDC, then log in on a Win2000 client PC, I get a message
saying the ntuser.dat file is not the proper format, so I know the
"profiles" share and "logon path" are correct.  But the profile will not
update on the PDC.  My Win2000 is SP2, and I tried SP4 also.  I looked
on the client PC and the profile is a "roaming" profile.  Also the "add
user script" doesn't work, I have to add the users by hand (with the
same script).  Here is my smb.conf file, any help is greatly appreciated...

Regards and thanks for a great program!

Doug P

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = TESTDOM
         server string = Samba Server
         update encrypted = Yes
         client lanman auth = No
         client plaintext auth = No
         log level = 4
         log file = /var/log/samba.log
         add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s
/bin/false -M %u
         logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
         logon drive = H:
         domain logons = Yes