[Samba] [URGENT! PLZ HELP!] Problems when moving a Samba installation from one Linux box to another

Paulo Bernardo Lindoso (Yahoo) lindoso_paulo at yahoo.com.br
Tue Oct 7 19:59:29 GMT 2003

Hello all,

We just bought a new server to migrate our Samba installation, but we
are facing some problems with it.

Both machines run Samba 2.2.7 configured as PDC for our domain.

When migrating, I copied /etc/samba/smb.conf and smbpasswd, and adjusted
smb.conf to listen to the new server's IP address.

Now all users can log on to the domain and access the Samba shares, but
no-one can access shares created from the workstations, either file ou
print shares...

Running through all files, I realised that I recreated all user and
computer accounts in /etc/passwd but the UserIDs obviously won't match
the migrated "smbpasswd":  for instance, user "haydee" has userid 514 in
/etc/passwd and userid 1007 in /etc/samba/smbpasswd....

I tried to change the UserID field in smbpasswd but to no avail.

Is there any simple hack to fix this or do I have to recreate all
accounts, take off all machines from the domains and put them back again?

Please help! :-)

Thanks in advance,
Paulo.