[Samba] How to join a domain without using admin or root

Jens Strohschnitter samba-ml at rwz.de
Tue Oct 7 09:02:29 GMT 2003

Hi there,

I've a question about how to add a Win2000 machine
without using the administrator account of the win-client.

For example, I want to install a client-machine until the
local login. Now I want to sent the pc to a different location
where the user should only enter his account and password
and domain.

The useraccount and machineaccount are already created with
smbpassed -ma machine%
smbpassed -a user
useradd machine$
useradd user

But now I have to join the client to the domain, using the
local administrator of the win-machine and the the linux
root-user.
Is it possible to join the machine without using both users
(admin and root) - so that an "normal" user can join to
the domain like Win9x clients can do it ?

My Environment:
Samba 2.2.8 configured as PDC
SuSE Linux 7.2/Kernel 2.4.16

--