[Samba] Samba 3 can't add server to ADS domain

Joe Howell howellj3 at mchsi.com
Mon Oct 6 18:14:08 GMT 2003

I've installed Samba 3.0.0 on my RH9 system using the source package and
"net ads join" will not work when I'm trying to join to my Win2K native-mode
ADS domain.

I ran the command with debug set up as high as 5 and the only thing I see
after I get prompted for my password is:

Connected to LDAP server 1.2.3.4
Failed to get ldap server info
No results returned
return code = -1

I compiled with --with-ads --with-ldap --with-winbind, and I've followed all
the configuration information that I can find, but I don't seem to be able
to get past this problem!  Interestingly, if I issue a "net join -U" the
computer account appears on my domain controller.  Unfortuately wbinfo won't
work then.  So something is more fundametally wrong here, I just can't
figure out what!

I'd really appreciate someone who has managed to make this work giving me
some help.  TIA.