[Samba] 3.0 question

Brad Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Sat Oct 4 21:29:59 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 13:12, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Anyhow, I want to give 3.0 a go in our organization, but I don't want
> to update the RedHat server - yet.  So, my question is this, can I take
> advantage of 3.0 by updating the Debian server, but it must somehow get
> user logon information through PAM/LDAP from the RedHat server.
If you're using ldapsam in 2.2 then you can't use the same
ldap store with ldapsam in 3.  Many changes were made to the schema.
If you have just unix accounts in ldap on the redhat box you can add the
samba stuff to that datastore and use it from the debian box.

> When I say take advantage, I want to move over to an "active
> directories", etc. environment.
you can't do that with samba3 alone - it can be a member server but not
whatever the analog of a pdc is in AD.

brad